This post was most recently updated on November 7th, 2018
The company Grow A Beard, true to its name, specializes in products for beard care. Currently they offer four products. They have two comb and brush sets and two beard oils.
However, among all their products, the Grow A Beard – Beard Brush and Comb Set for Men is the apple of their eye, and it can be seen why. It is a very effective set, has a lot of great ratings and reviews and at the same time has two great products in one convenient package.
But before we talk about this product, let’s talk about brushes and combs first.
Beard brushes are better for the shorter beards. Beard combs work best with longer beards. This is the so-called “common sense” within the beard community, but I think that is too limiting.
Personally, I use the brush first when I apply the beard oil. I then let it sit for around 5 to 10 minutes. I then comb it to my style, using a downward combing motion to make my beard a bit longer. I use both brush and comb, the brush more for hygiene and the comb for styling.
Finding a great beard brush is not difficult, but also not easy. The four characteristics people should look for in a beard brush are:
- The durability, which is primarily seen through the quality of materials.
Beard combs are sturdier if they use thicker materials, but that makes the comb inconvenient. That is why bamboo, sandalwood, or Argentinian wood works best.
Beard brushes are usually made of wood, which is great. I make sure that the material used for the handle is untreated wood, just to avoid any chemicals which may clash with the beard oil or beard balm.
- The practicality of the teeth of the comb or the bristles of the brush.
I prefer beard combs with two sides. It is best if they are different sizes, one side with the regular teeth and the other side with thinner and bigger spaces between the teeth.
For beard brushes, I prefer using bristles made of boar hair.
- The toughness of the brush and the comb, especially the bristles and teeth.
- The design and sturdiness of the handle.
For the purpose of this product, and for sets in general, I will review the comb and the brush separately.
Features of the Grow A Beard – Beard Brush and Comb Set for Men
For the beard comb:
- This beard comb is fairly light and compact, 3 x 1.4 x 2.2 inches and weighing in at 2.1 ounces.
- The comb is made of bamboo. It is very resilient and sturdy.
- The comb has two sides of teeth, one having the standard size and the other with thinner and spaced nearer than regular ones.
- It is considerably lighter than most combs in the market at around 2 to 2.1 ounces.
- Also, this comb is considerably stronger than most combs. I once sat on it (oops!) and it did not break.
For the beard brush:
- This beard brush is a bit smaller and lighter than most beard brushes at 3 x 1.4 x 2.2 inches and weighing in at 2.4 ounces.
- The handle is made of bamboo and the bristles are made of wild boar hair.
- The bristles are thicker than most in the market.
- The brush is designed so that it will fit in your palm but at the same time with the edges sticking out a bit. I find this design convenient since it shows that it can cover a bit more area compared to other brushes.
- For the beard brush, the bristles are a little softer than others. That is great for applying oil and balm onto your beard. It will not be as damaging as other stiffer bristles.
- They are both sturdy, especially the comb. The bamboo material that they use really works well!
- For the comb, the fact that it is lighter than most hides that it is stronger than most! It glides through my beard really well and I can comb with it without any problem.
- The comb also has two sides with different sized teeth, which makes styling and grooming easier.
- They both have great wooden handles. They are also both on the smaller and lighter side. This means that they are very convenient to carry.
- Even if they are lighter than most, they have enough strength to untangle beard hair without damaging it, especially the comb.
- For both the brush and the comb, I am used to using heavier ones so it took some time to adjust, but after a few times of using both they work really well together.
- There is no packaging for these two. While both are relatively small and can be placed inside a pocket, a case would be convenient.
- The bristles of the brush are a bit on the softer side, so I am a little hesitant to apply a lot of force. This isn’t necessarily a con, just be aware when using it.
Grow A Beard – Beard Brush and Comb Set for Men
is a great comb and brush set. I may be biased, but I thought the comb was better than the brush. I enjoyed the softer bristles and sturdiness of both. I would recommend buying this for someone with a 3 to 5-month-old beard.