5 Best Beard Combs
Let’s cut straight to the chase – you have a man mane to manage and only so much time to find the best way to do that. You know a lot of guys who swear by beard combs, but you’re still not sure whether that’s what you really need or how to identify the best beard comb out there.
That’s what we’re here for. We’ve done the digging, testing, and the pros-and-con-ing for you so that you can find exactly what you need and get grooming.
But first, some preliminary info…
Benefit of Best Beard Combs:
There are a lot of benefits to using a comb on your beard. Here are just a few:
- Neat & Tidy: using a comb allows you to gain control of the fuller beards. The beard comb will enable you to frame your facial hair in a way that matches your face neatly with clean lines. With regular combing, you can actually train your facial hair to grow that way.
- No Lip-Curls: guys with more full beards and mustaches are familiar with how the facial hair like to curl over the lips and into your mouth. A beard comb will allow you to clear them from your mouth and train them to grow away from it instead into it. P.S. – this will make the ladies in your life happy as well.
- Skin Health: believe it or not, by combing your beard hair daily, it actually helps you cut down on ingrown facial hair (those hairs that curl around and grow beneath the skin instead of popping through). This is because combing trains your facial hair to grow in the proper direction, so when they are growing after being trimmed, they will grow straight out, instead of causing those bumps and spots beneath your skin.
But why a comb and not a beard brush? Well, while beard brushes are great for short, newer beards and help give your beard a tidy look, they are not very helpful for longer beards.Combs are great for long beards and can be used to help do the real detailed styling. You can also use a comb on both wet and dry facial hair, while a beard brush can only be used on dry facial hair.
(click on any one of the product names to see the recent price on Amazon)
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B01AYMHBLY” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/51EtBOtf9bL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”142″]
||[easyazon_link identifier=”B01AYMHBLY” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Smooth Viking – Beard Brush for Men[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B019FYL7L2″ locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/518d1sAT31L.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”139″]
||[easyazon_link identifier=”B019FYL7L2″ locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Grow A Beard – Beard Brush and Comb Set for Men[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B019CFQORQ” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/518RgPzLkQL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”158″]
||[easyazon_link identifier=”B019CFQORQ” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Repsol Care – Beard Brush and Beard Comb kit[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B01MR506OO” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/51vjFqXXT1L.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
||[easyazon_link identifier=”B01MR506OO” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Peter’s Beard- Beard Comb for Men Wooden Natural Antistatic[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”124″ identifier=”B072F9KDLV” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/51W6VrLnlcL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
||[easyazon_link identifier=”B072F9KDLV” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]The Beard Brave – Beard Comb and Beard Brush – Beard Grooming Kit for Men[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”107″ identifier=”B06W9MZYFB” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/41NY2jY2BKyL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
|| [easyazon_link identifier=”B06W9MZYFB” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]BEST DEAL Wooden Beard Comb & Case, Dual Action Fine & Coarse Teeth[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B00354XMH6″ locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/411GlPuOkTL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
|| [easyazon_link identifier=”B00354XMH6″ locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Kent 81T- Men’s Handmade Beard/Moustache Comb[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”107″ identifier=”B072WY733P” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/41ANr55qxkL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
|| [easyazon_link identifier=”B072WY733P” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]LuckyMan Premium Wooden Beard Comb[/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B01KIEGQSC” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/61FhJ2HyAVL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
|| [easyazon_link identifier=”B01KIEGQSC” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Beard Comb Kit for Men [/easyazon_link]
| [easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”B06XGJHX7K” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/51HkGrOezmL.SL160.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”160″]
|| [easyazon_link identifier=”B06XGJHX7K” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Beard Comb and Brush Grooming Set for Men[/easyazon_link]
Qualities of a Beard Comb
Now, we all know how popular it is to get only “the best” of something. But let’s face it guys, no two beards are created equal, and neither are the beard combs. Naturally, then, what may be the best beard comb for your buddy’s beard may not be the best for yours.
That said, there are still some key characteristics to look out for in a good quality beard comb:
- Hand cut / handmade: before you roll your eyes and think we’re being way to picky, hold on!A comb that is mass produced through large manufacturing presses result in beard combs with little jagged edges all along the teeth. These edges will catch and tear at every – single – facial hair! This also means tearing your hairs, split ends, and lots of tangled knots, and static to boot.Additionally, mass produced beard combs tend to be made from cheaper, less durable materials that will snap and break easily.Hand cut beard combs, however, are made typically from sturdier materials and each tooth is cut by saw. This eradicates any chance of those jagged edges.Furthermore, the teeth and ends of the beard combs get polished, meaning they are utterly smooth and snag-free by the time they make it into your hands.
- Proper spacing between teeth: now this feature will need to differ depending on your individual beard. If you have coarse, curly beard hair, then you need a beard comb with teeth set farther apart so it can pass smoothly through your beard and not snag.If, however, you have a softer, finer beard, you can use a beard comb that has teeth set closer together.Bottom line – you need to consider your personal beard’s coarseness and length to help choose a beard comb with the best teeth spacing for you.
- Quality material: now, as hinted at with our first characteristic, cheap, mass-produced plastic beard combs will mean a material prone to jagged edges that will tear at your beard, and fragility that will leave you snapping and replacing them regularly.Instead, the materials you want to look for in a quality beard comb are wood, bone (yup, they’re out there) or cellulose acetate.
If you choose a comb with some or all of the above features, then you can know that you have a quality beard comb that will not only provide an enjoyable combing experience, but which will seriously improve the quality of your beard.
Our Top 5 Best Beard Combs
Alright, so now that we have gone over some of the beard comb basics, it’s time to talk about our top picks. Again, keep in mind that there is no, one “perfect” beard comb for everyone, so take a look and see which of these five would suit your beard needs best.
Peter’s Beard – Beard Comb for Men Wooden Natural Antistatic
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B01MR506OO” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/51vjFqXXT1L.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″] width=”500″]Peter’s Beard is a newcomer to the beard comb market. They only showed up last year and are actually a brand of a larger retailer in the Netherlands.However, this beard comb is of excellent quality and one of the best, I feel, out on the market right now.Here are the details:
- Material: this Peter’s Beard comb (there really is only one that they sell so far) is made from pure sandalwood. It has an amazing fresh, wooden scent that compliments this wooden beard comb, indicating that they have not treated it chemically, which is what you want. You do want to avoid chemically treated beard combs or beard brushes. Sandalwood is an increasingly popular material for beard combs and it’s easy to see why. It has a nice, lighten wooden grainy look, and the scent it gives off can’t be beat. See below for another benefit of the material.
- Durability: the sandalwood also renders this beard comb to be very sturdy. It’s nice and compact, and the solid wood makes it very resistant to bending or snapping. I attempted to bend the wooden beard comb along the spine, just to see, and it wouldn’t budge.
- Shape: one of the best things about this beard comb is its shape. It is hatchet-shaped, meaning it has teeth on both sides of the comb.One side offers the more traditional, larger sized and spaced out teeth for general grooming and shaping. The other side provide smaller, pointer teeth with less space between. This side is great for detangling a specific area as well as for finer beard.The consequence is a versatile wooden beard comb that can perform a few functions for one person and can also suit a wider variety of beard types.
- Size: another huge perk about this wooden beard comb is its size. It fits in the palm of my hand, which considering its durability and versatility, is incredible. It is also the lightest comb I have ever held, coming in at only 1.4 oz, which is half of the average comb weight.This makes this beard comb the easiest to pocket and to quickly whip out when you need it.
- Carrying Case: Peter’s Beard comb also comes with a classy leather case, a unique touch. The case resembles a thin leather pocket wallet, with reddish brown leather and the black scripted Peter’s Beard logo.
- Price Point: if you are looking for something on the cheaper side, or maybe you’re just trying out this beard comb thing for the first time and are hesitant to drop too much into it at first, then you are in luck. This comb comes in right at $6.99, which is extremely affordable.
It is a fantastic little comb. But, as with all things, it’s got its pros and its cons:
- The design makes this comb both versatile and light for a variety of uses and easy carrying
- It is sturdy, despite being so small
- It’s a stylish set
- You can’t beat the price
- The only potential con here is that it’s parent company is a large retailer from out of country, and it may not be truly hand-made. It is difficult to track down the true origins of the manufacturer. However, the make is still from quality wood and has none of the disadvantages that one usually gets from a large retail-store comb.
Read our full guide here Peter’s Beard – Beard Comb for Men Wooden Natural Antistatic
Rocky Mountain Barber Company – Sandalwood Natural Hatchet Style Beard Comb with Contoured Design
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B01A67WSLU” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Beard-Comb-Sandalwood-Natural-Hatchet-Style-for-Hair-Anti-Static-No-Snag-Handmade-Wide-Fine-Tooth-Contour-Brush-Best-for-Beard-Moustache-with-Carrying-Case-Pouch.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”433″]The Rocky Mountain Barber Company (RMBC) has been around for a few years now and has earned a solid reputation for good reason. They use only top quality, all-natural materials for all of their beard combs. Now, they have produced a comb that, I gotta say, is truly the most versatile on the market right now.Here are the details:
- Material: this beard comb is made from classic sandalwood and true to form, Rocky Mountain adds a bit of their sandalwood essential oils to the mix to ensure that your combing experience is as pleasant to your nose as it is to your beard.
- Durability: as with the previous beard comb, the sandalwood material and design make RMBC’s beard comb very sturdy. You won’t have to worry about it snapping on you.
- Shape: this is where RMBC’s contoured comb stands out. It is hatchet style, like the last comb, meaning teeth on both sides. However, they have added a contour to both sides, allowing the comb to have a curve that fits your face better than a straight beard comb.But more than a better fit, RMBC added the contour so that it could be used as a shaping tool as well to help you get the lines around your face just right while shaving. Additionally, they’ve added very small teeth on both ends of the beard comb to help with harder to reach spots like just above the lip and on the side-burns.The contouring and additional teeth sets mean teeth of varying lengths, widths and spacing for greater versatility and application.
- Size: this beard comb is also incredibly compact, running near 4” in length and just under 2.5” wide, making it a perfect fit in your hand. It is also very light, so you won’t hardly notice when you slip it in your pocket.
- Carrying Case: this contour beard comb comes with both a light brown leather carrying case and a hard, protective box case as well, which is great for gift giving.
- Price Point: Rocky Mountain’s contour comb does sit at a higher price point, usually starting at $17.97. But with its quality design and materials, this price is worth paying.
Here’s the break-down of this awesome beard comb’s pros and cons:
- You won’t find a more versatile beard comb on the market. Whether you have coarse or find beard hair, whether you need to style or detangle, this comb will work for you
- It’s made from durable sandalwood and smells amazing
- It looks great
- The price is the only obvious downside to this beard comb
- Like our last brand, Rocky Mountain Barber Company has a large parent company. It’s difficult to identify where exactly their beard combs are made and whether or not they are truly handmade. However, the quality of the beard comb does not betray a cheap manufacturing process and compared to small brand handmade beard combs, it definitely holds its own.
Rapid Beard Brush and Beard Comb Kit
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B019CFQORQ” locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/518RgPzLkQL.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”493″]This is another combo kit that we can guarantee is handmade with love, creating a static and snag free combing experience.Here are the details:
- Material: the comb is made from natural, sturdy wood and the beard brush is made from bamboo and 100% boar’s hair bristles.
- Shape: this comb is different than those reviewed so far, being only one-sided, and it is fine-toothed. It fits perfectly in the hand and works well and is easy to use, including on the mustache as well. The beard brush is oval shaped.
- Size: the kit comes in a box measuring 1.6 x 2.1 x 4.7, but both the comb and beard brush are made to be the perfect pocket size for easy portability.
- Carrying Case: the combo kit comes with a rugged-looking cotton bag with the logo, all packaged in a nice box perfect for gifting or storing.
- Price Point: this combo kit rings in right at $14.97.
- The beard brush’s bristles are JUST right. Thicker than a lot of beard brushes, but not so coarse as to irritate your skin
- This kit has one of the best beard wooden combs out on the market. It will untangle any knots you’re dealing with and is easy to handle.
- Though not a big deal to us, this kit’s beard brush and comb are heavier than most.
- The comb, though top quality, only offers one set and size of teeth, so it is a little less versatile.
Read our full guide here Rapid Beard Brush and Beard Comb Kit
Grow a Beard – Beard Brush and Comb Set for Men
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B019FYL7L2″ locale=”US” src=”https://madeforbeards.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/518d1sAT31L.jpg” tag=”madeforbeards-20″ width=”433″]This company produces top-notch beard combs and brushes, and this combo kit is arguably their very best product and one of the best on market.Here are the details:
- Material: both the comb and brush are made of a combination of natural wood and plant fiber, bamboo to be specific. The result is that both are incredibly durable yet pliable.
- Shape: this is another double-sided comb, with one side having broad teeth and wide spacing, while the other side has fine teeth and smaller spacing. The brush resembles that of a janitor’s broom – long, thin, and curved at the end.
- Size: both comb and brush are a bit bigger than some of the others reviewed here, but are still pocketable, even when in their bag and carried together.
- Carrying Case: comes in a stylish box and has a cotton carrying bag.
- Price Point: by far the cheapest combo kit, ringing in at $9.96.
This is a great little combo kit for newbies especially but offers value even to the experienced beardsmen. Here are the pros and cons we found:
- The comb is very light, and its flexibility makes it easy to handle.
- The comb provides different lengths and sizes of teeth.
- Nice, professional packaging perfect for gifting
- The pro of its bamboo-flexibility is also a bit of a con – we’ve known bamboo to be a bit more snap-able than other woods. I’ve broken a few myself.
- While this is a great kit together, neither item is what we would consider “the best” of the best out there.
Read our full guide here Grow a Beard – Beard Brush and Comb Set for Men
Smooth Viking Beard Brush And Comb For Men
This is Smooth Viking’s best-selling product for a good reason. The brush is light and can fit in your pocket. It is also sturdy and does its job remarkably well. It is easy to untangle and smoothen out my beard with this brush.
- Material: The bristles are all-natural, which is great. They use 100% real Black Wild Boars hair.
- Shape: The comb is double-sided. Comes in handy for working in your beard oil.
- Size: This beard brush is fairly light and compact, at 4.3 x 2 x 1.2 inches and weighing 2.4 ounces.
- Price Point: Great price point for a combo kit ringing in at $12.97.
- This beard brush is made from authentic wild boars hair, and it really feels like it! The bristles of this beard brush are second to none. These bristles are thick enough not to irritate my skin and spaced out enough so that there will not be any patches that are not brushed.
- The beard brush does its job really well, especially with moisturizing the beard. The bristles absorbed the beard oil I was using and when I brushed it on my beard toward my chin, it made my facial hair easier to comb afterward. I also feel that my beard was considerably softer and smoother after.
- The brush is also very durable. Even if you accidentally sat on it, the bristles would remain in place and the handle is thick enough to resist breaking.
- The design of the brush is one you commonly see, but it is lighter and the bristles seem to be spaced out better than most.
- The bristles are a lot softer than others but at the same time a bit stiffer, meaning that the brush can do its job better without scratching your skin.
- I have been using heavier brushes from the start so it took some time to adjust, but this should not be a problem once you get accustomed to it.
- I have a longer beard, so while it does help me apply the beard oils evenly and effectively, I still need to use a comb.
Read our full guide here Smooth Viking Beard Brush
Alright, so these are, in our mind, some of the best beard combs and sets that any bearded dude could work with.
So, how do you make your decision? We’ll help you by classifying them into the following:
- Best Beard Comb for Price: we have to say, if you’re going to spend the money, you might as well spend just a touch more and get a quality combo kit.[easyazon_link identifier=”B019CFQORQ” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″] Rapid Beard Brush and Beard Comb Kit, [/easyazon_link]which is made from real wood and boar’s hare is only $14.97 at the time of writing this article, which is just five bucks more than the cheapest comb in our list. And its handmade to boot!
- Best Beard Comb for Top Notch Quality: though potentially not handmade, if you’re looking for quality material and design, you can’t beat the [easyazon_link identifier=”B01A67WSLU” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]Rocky Mountain Barber Company.[/easyazon_link]There really isn’t a comb out there like it, and its reputation speaks for itself.
- Best Beard Comb / Brush Combo: the best combo kit for quality design, materials, and make is definitely [easyazon_link identifier=”B072F9KDLV” locale=”US” tag=”madeforbeards-20″]The Beard Brave Kit.[/easyazon_link] Handmade from premium sandalwood and boar’s head, hatchet shaped for double-sided versatility, and an added perk of a keychain com – you can’t go wrong with this kit.
So that’s it. Everything you need to know about why you should consider beard combs, what makes a good beard comb, and the best beard combs on the market to choose from.
If you can’t make up your mind on the perfect beard comb for you, well, then you’re just being beyond picky.
Ultimate Beard Comb Guide
As a beard owner, you want to be sure your beard is living up to its potential. You, of course, want your beard to be all that it can be. The most important tool in your beard care arsenal, is your beard comb. Ultimately, the best beard comb is one that’s portable and well-made. A quality comb can make your beard look better groomed and more stylish.
It can be a bit daunting when shopping for a new beard comb. The options may be overwhelming. You can choose from different materials like wood or ox horn. You can also choose the type of beard combs such as switchblade or wallet. A high-quality comb can make a huge difference in the appearance and maintenance of your beard.
The following article breaks down the following:
There are many oils, waxes, and balms available for beard grooming. But the truth is, without the proper comb, these products may fall short in making your beard really stand out.
5 POINTS TO REMEMBER WHEN SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT BEARD COMB:
1) Handcrafted vs. Machine-made
3) Absorption & Oil Distribution
4) Teeth Type
Handmade Beard Comb VS. Machine-Made
Beard combs that are made from machines attract certain buyers because they typically cost the least. However, like anything, products that are mass produced from machines usually lack quality. You will get what you pay for in this case.
Beard combs made by machines are printed and stamped onto larger sheets. The stamped beard combs are then cut out of these sheets. This process causes the beard combs to have microscopic jagged edges along the comb teeth. These edges are very rough on facial hair and virtually rip each hair out from the follicle.
A handmade beard comb is the best choice. That being said, we cannot attest to any other handmade beard combs other than our own. There is a lot of care and attention to detail that goes into the creation of each beard comb.
Behind each handcrafted beard comb is a team of highly skilled craftsmen and a careful process. Using a handmade comb will allow you to use great care when grooming your beard.
Another critical component in beard comb choice is the material it is made from. There are many plastic combs out there. These are the beard combs previously mentioned that are made on a mass scale and are ultimately very damaging to your beard hair.
Another option is a wooden beard comb. These are typically handcrafted and of the highest quality. The best types of wooden beard combs are typically made of sandalwood or pear wood. Let’s compare the two.
Sandalwood certainly has a firm position within beard grooming products. One of the most enjoyed features of a sandalwood beard comb is the scent. The wood has a smooth yet sweet scent with a hint of smoke and spice. While grooming with a sandalwood beard comb, the scent makes the process more of an experience and less of a chore.
Because sandalwood is naturally dense, it acts as a massaging tool for the face and scalp. This can strengthen the hair follicles and stimulate blood flow which aids facial hair growth. Because a handmade sandalwood comb is crafted with such care, it allows you to groom your beard without snags or static. The wood also collects any oils and distributes them evenly.
B.) Pear Wood Comb For Beards
Different from sandalwood, pear wood has almost no scent. However, it is incredibly durable and strong. Although a very hard, strong wood, pear wood is still porous. This allows the wood to absorb any oils and distribute them evenly throughout your beard. Similar to sandalwood, the soft texture of the wood helps limit static and snagging.
Absorption Vs. Distribution Of Oil
As previously discussed, the ability for a comb to collect and distribute oils plays a part. A handmade, wooden beard comb is ideal for this. Certain types of wood easily absorb oils, allowing you to comb the oil throughout your beard with ease. As you might imagine, a plastic comb is unable to perform such a task.
Teeth (Long vs. Short Beard Comb & Wide Tooth vs. Fine Tooth)
There are many choices of teeth within beard comb products. The right choice for you depends on the type of beard you have. How long is your beard? Is your facial hair unruly and/or very thick?When examining comb teeth you should generally avoid any that have pointed tips. These types of teeth can cause damage and rip out your facial hair. The best choice is a comb with nicely rounded teeth.
When choosing the spacing of the teeth (wide or fine) consider the mass of your beard and whether you prefer a long or short beard comb. A very thick or long beard will require wider set teeth. Whereas, a shorter, thinner beard would benefit most from a finer set of teeth.
Of course, if you fall somewhere between a beginner beard and a veteran beard, there is the option of a medium-toothed comb.
Material plays a huge role here. As you may suspect, a wooden beard comb will be much more durable than a plastic one. It will last much longer, as it is the stronger of the two materials.
Along with the comb material, the care you give your comb is a direct reflection of how long it will last.
For example, making sure your beard comb is kept indoors, or in a protector when not home, will ensure a longer life. It’s a good practice to keep your wooden comb from having direct contact with water, as that is most damaging to the material. Wiping with a damp cloth and reconditioning with oil are among best practices.